HISTORY OF THE CHOIR
The original Choir was formed in 1947 at Germains Secondary Modern School, now called the Thomas Harding School at Chesham in Buckinghamshire.
At that time Germains was a boy's school for eleven to sixteen year olds. In the Autumn of 1947 Mr Robert Glyn Davies a Welshman of exceptional musical talents and teaching abilities joined the staff as the Music Teacher. Within months he had formed a Choir which eventually grew to sixty choristers and who sang throughout Mr Davies's nine years at Germains. They made music throughout the area giving Concerts and Carol Services, at the same time raising funds for Children's Charities. Also during this time a section of the choir was formed into a Madrigal Group.
By 1956, when Mr Davies left the school to become a Head Teacher in Essex, the Choir had appeared on Television and Radio. Thirty-six years later, he by chance met an old pupil and former choir member. Thereafter, as a result came a Reunion in June 1992. Remarkably this brought together no less than 102 of the former choir members, many who had travelled long distances back to Chesham for this unforgettable event. Annual Reunions followed and old friendships were renewed. Sadly Glyn Davies passed away in January 1994, and shortly afterwards it was decided to reform the Choir to sing at the 1994 Reunion. His widow, Sheila directed and accompanied the "New Choir" and its success at that event brought about the rebirth of the Choir to sing on a regular basis. The first winter season Mrs Davies travelled all the way from Essex each week to play and direct at rehearsals for concerts at residential homes where the Choir first made its re-appearance. Unfortunately the distance made this only a temporary measure. A conductor was then found from local resources.
The present choir has been able to help raise money for charities in and around the area and at the same time enjoy Male Voice Harmony singing.
June 2006 at St Mary's Church, Beaconsfield, Bucks
November 2007 St John's Church, Whitchurch, Aylesbury
June 2008 at Burrow Farm Gardens Hambleden Oxon in aid of Scannappeal
Annual Concert at White Hill Centre, May 2010
Bledlow July 2010
Choir at Steeple Claydon, June 2013
GERMAINS SCHOOL CHOIR - 60th Anniversary 2007
Founder - Robert (Bob) Glyn Davies 1919-1994
To celebrate the inspiration of Glyn Davies in forming the choir and creating the GOOD FELLOWSHIP so firmly instilled in all choir members that it still thrives to this day, the Germains Male Voice Choir held a 60th Anniversary Concert at the Whitehill Centre in Chesham Buckinghamshire on 19th May 2007 (1947-2007)
Through local research it brought together some of the original senior masters of the school plus and also the great honour of the presence of Glyn Davies widow Sheila who was able to attend this very nostalgic evening. Many choir members and pupils who were located were reunited at this very successful event which now marks another significant part of our history. The whole event was a major fund raising event for our contribution to the local Scannappeal Funding.
CHOIR MEMBERSHIP IN PHOTOS 1948 - 1993
Malcolm Flack has assembled a collection of Choir photographs spanning the period 1948 -1993. Take a look at the samples below and view them full size by clicking on this link. Let Malcolm know if you can help identify the choristers please - email him at firstname.lastname@example.org